Sunday, September 6, 2009

square peg, round hole

Today was pretty much the same as the last few ...
Breastfeeding continues to be a challenge. Charlotte is getting more difficult to latch on as she is getting more frustrated with the fact that my anatomy is just not compatible with her mouth. I've had to resort back to using the nipple shield some (which makes me sad, because I really don't want her to become dependent on it) when she gets really belligerent and refuses to latch.
I hope that over the next few weeks things become a bit easier (I am certain that they will) as she gets more coordinated and I get a bit less upset when she begins screaming and I can't calm her down. It's still incredibly upsetting to know that I can't calm my baby girl down.

On a positive note, we finally switched over to cloth diapers today. I wanted to wait until her poop switched over completely to regular breastfed baby poop with no hint of meconium... last thing I need is to ruin my brand new diapers! I'm not yet switching over to the cloth wipes ... I figure do one thing at a time to make it a bit easier. James and I watched a video about prefolds and the different ways to use them. We attempted for a good 20 minutes to try and get one on Charlotte, but we had several issues with gaps and whatnot. She was very cooperative during our attempt but eventually got impatient with us (more with the fact that she was not eating!) and we used a fitted diaper instead. We'll attempt the prefolds again tomorrow when we're a bit less tired.

No comments: