I hit 37 weeks on Wednesday which means that Sprout is now full term! (imagine me doing a tiny happy dance)
I can't tell you how much of a relief that is - knowing that this baby is now officially ready for the outside world. A few weeks of growth will still do Sprout some good (although I'm not sure how much more painful it will make birthing this child...), but if Sprout decides that today is the day... Hakuna Matata.
On Wednesday I found out a friend of mine was being induced that day - third friend I've had give birth in a week (congrats Rachel, Trisha & AnnaLisa!!!) (I know a fourth who is currently in labor). I had a few pangs of jealousy that all these babies are coming because I am so anxious and excited to meet this little one!!!
Trotted off to work that night like it was no big deal --- other than my ever-growing cankles I've been feeling pretty decent lately. Was on my feet for about a half an hour and then they started. The contractions. At first I just felt a few (which is common because I've been contracting off and on for a few weeks --- nothing regular since my bout with preterm labour three weeks ago, but enough to cause me some pretty significant discomfort at times).
After about an hour of being on my feet while working the contractions started feeling more regular and definitely stronger and getting quite painful. Decided I needed to rest for a bit and start counting them to see if it was anything to be concerned over. After sitting for about an hour and counting the ever increasing intensity of the contractions which were coming about every four minutes --- I was left wondering ... is this it? It's too bad I couldn't have some magical sense of whether or not I was dilating.
After about another half hour of walking around and the contractions being so strong I had to stop what I was doing and breathe through them ... I had to leave. I wasn't sure if I should go straight to the hospital to be checked or head home and try to wait and see if things got worse. I preferred the latter because I wanted James to be with me. I also didn't want to head all the way to the hospital just to be sent back home. So... I called my doc to ask what I should do. Thank goodness it was my doc on call that night because she has this magical way of calming me down when I'm freaking out. She told me to go home, take a hot bath, and wait and see if things got better or worse.
The contractions calmed down on the ride home (I am still convinced it was the plinking sounds of the Coldplay Lullaby CD that did it, but James rolls his eyes when I say that).
I got into the bath as soon as I got home, and while I was still having some pretty painful ones, they did slow down quite a bit. Went to bed, thinking: "if it's real labor, I won't be able to sleep or they'll wake me up." I did manage to sleep off and on for 8 hours, so I assume they were just lovely Braxton Hicks and it was the second of what I hope are not many false alarms.
Had a doctor's appointment yesterday and I was really hoping that she was going to check me and see if I was dilating yet. I hoped all those contractions were for something!!! And...she tells me I'm dilated to one. O-N-E. One is better than zero for sure. But I was almost disappointed it was only one. I still have three weeks 'til my due date so I know I'm being more optimistic than I should be --- given that a lot of first time moms go past their due dates. Of course they say that most people don't know exactly when they got pregnant so their due date is a bit of an estimate, but most people aren't as anal as I am and plan these things to a T. (Although in this case I don't think I expected my planning to work out quite as well the first time out)
So... I am sitting and waiting. Still expecting to go back to work next week, although I am going to take my doc's advice and try to not work three shifts in a row. I have a wonderful coworker that offered to work one of my shifts for me, I just have to call and make sure my manager is okay with it (I'm sure she will be).
So... I am sitting and waiting and trying to not nest too much since I know I need to rest... given that childbirth is just around the corner. Although it may not be for a few weeks yet.
I want to hold my baby.
Friday, August 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment