Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sprout, Sprout, wiggle about

Several months ago, my darling husband created his own lyrics with regard to our little one to the Tears for Fears song "Shout, Shout, let it all out"

The first version consisted only of: "Sprout, Sprout, wiggle about"

A couple months later it got a makeover: "Sprout, Sprout, don't you come out. Stay in your mom where you wiggle about."

Since I hit "full term" it has changed again: "Sprout, Sprout, you can come out. Until then keep wiggling about."

*************
As I near the end of this pregnancy, many friends who have kids continue to tell me: Even though you're almost finished and miserable, enjoy being pregnant, because you will miss it.

To be honest, I wouldn't necessarily call myself miserable (yet). Other than having issues moving around well, I really haven't had too many complaints this third trimester ...other than the horrendous ligament pain that comes and goes and the occasional David Beckham-style kicks to my ribs or headbutts to my cervix (ouch!).

I have overall enjoyed being pregnant, although there are parts of it I definitely won't miss. I more feel blessed that I was given this opportunity to bring this baby into the world, considering we weren't even certain that we were going to be able to.

Every time I feel Sprout "wiggling about" I try to stop and focus on how that feels because while I am so looking forward to holding this child we created, I do know that I will miss feeling it moving around inside. Feeling him/her moving around is such a strange feeling to try and explain, but it's very calming in a way. Regardless of how many jabs, punches and headbutts I get - even the ones that hurt so badly I fly out of my chair - they make me smile because with each one I imagine with it the message, "Hey mom, I'm still here, and I'm okay!"

As Sprout has gotten bigger in the last couple weeks, and run out of room to move around, the movement has definitely slowed down. In addition, Sprout has definitely taken to having some wake/sleep cycles. Good for extra-uterine life, bad for a worried mother who freaks when she doesn't feel her little one moving for what seems like hours at a time. Just when I start getting overly concerned, Sprout gives me what sometimes is just a reassuring little wiggle. It's enough to calm me down.

I am hoping Sprout at least holds off until after tomorrow evening, as I am having some maternity pictures taken that I am quite looking forward to! I don't imagine he/she will make her grand entrance that early (after all, it is MY child ... ), but then again, you never can be too sure.

Sprout, Sprout, you can come out.
Until then, keep wiggling about.

Your mommy likes it. And she knows she will miss it.

No comments: