Monday, June 6, 2011

the last straw

Still TTC.

My cousin Matt is getting married this weekend in Vegas. This fact has not impacted my desire to lose weight at all (unfortunately). So, I am now T-minus 96 hours from leaving for the airport and am without attire. Turns out, dresses, etc... aren't cute when you're this big - they're simply fat cover-ups. I had asked a coworker if I could borrow something and she brought me about 7 things to try on. Some fit, some didn't. The ones that fit don't look good. At all.

I dug around in my tubs of 'things that used to fit' looking for my college graduation dress. It fit me at the time, although it was definitely not flattering as I was at my heaviest weight then. I am approaching that weight now, although I don't believe I have surpassed it. I tried the dress on. It was too small. As I tucked it back into those tubs of 'things that used to fit', I wept.

How did I get back here? Did I not promise myself I would never find need to wear that dress again? I used to pull it out and laugh at how big it was... and now it's too small.
I cried as I poured over three tubs of clothes that have fit me in the last four years. And now they are simply memories tucked away.

I tried sooooooo hard to lose all that weight. It took me four years. I felt so good on our wedding day. Not good enough to stay there. I used pregnancy as an excuse to eat what I wanted, yet I didn't stop after our daughter was born. It got worse. And worse. And worse. And now I sit here with a closet full of too-small things. I have about 5 shirts that fit. I am going to Vegas this weekend and WANT to spend the weekend in the pool but I am ashamed to put on a bathing suit. I am ashamed of wearing anything. I am ashamed of myself.

Change starts today. I can't bear another day in this unhealthy body. I owe it to my daughter to make change. I owe it to myself.

No comments: