Tuesday, July 14, 2009

worry

I think some sort of hormone must be released at the moment you discover you're going to be a parent that leads to the inevitable worry that you will have for that child for the rest of your life.
Furthermore, I think that this hormone is somehow emitted by the newly created embryo that crosses over to the father as well as implanting itself into the mother.

This persistent state of worry (though not always at the surface) begins to exhibit itself immediately rather than beginning when the baby makes its entrance into the extra-uterine world. That being said - when life begins...worry does too.

I worried constantly about Sprout before I could feel him/her move...because I wanted to know that he/she was okay. I was convinced that as soon as I could feel the movements - I would feel relieved and no longer worry.
Now, as Sprout is a very active "little" fetus (I use the word little very lightly as Sprout is getting big!) I constantly worry if I don't feel any movements as well. As Sprout is settling into regular wake/sleep cycles, I have found myself tending to get concerned a bit more often. And, as Sprout is getting bigger and the movements are getting a bit less obvious (i.e. my belly is not imitiating the surface of the water at the beach), this has not helped matters.

I had to lie down and do a kick count today - knowing that Sprout was likely fine... but I had to be sure. This is the second or third one that I've done. Lucky for me (and my worried husband), Sprout kicked 11+ times in the first half hour. I was more that reassured. Since then, my little one has jabbed me in the ribs several times. I imagine him/her saying with it, "I'm okay, Mom!"

I guess this just prepares me for the worry I'll have after this little one makes his/her debut...
I'm 34 weeks tomorrow. That's a milestone in my mind, because I personally decided to make my grand entrance in my 34th week. Hopefully Sprout has enough sense to stay in for a few more weeks, allowing me to do the preparing I so desperately need to get done!
It's out of my hands....

All up to you, little one.

No comments: