Thursday, July 16, 2009

Terbutaline

So, yesterday was a pretty eventful day.

Started out with wicked, nasty heartburn as I was leaving work. Tums did nothing and by the time I got home I was fighting some pretty bad nausea. I attempted to sleep very unsuccessfully for a couple hours and in-between trips to the bathroom I started having some wicked bad contractions (probably a side-effect of not being able to keep anything down).

I tried calling the doctor's office, but everyone was on their lunch break. I couldn't wait an hour an a half ...so...off to the hospital we went.

I got hooked up to the monitors and within a couple minutes it was pretty clear that I was contracting - more often than I was even feeling at that point ... every two minutes. However, I wasn't dilated at all, thank goodness. I remained hooked up to the monitor while they attempted to get me hydrated (which wasn't very successful seeing as I was still extremely nauseous). The "GI cocktail" they gave me to help with the nausea tasted so horrible it made me gag, so that didn't get finished either.

After two hours on the monitor with my contractions increasing in intensity (and feeling every single one...) and getting closer together I got a shot of Terbutaline to try and relax my uterus and stop the contractions. Then I got an earful of the side effects that I should expect: rapid heartbeat, anxiety, jitteriness, shortness of breath. Within 5 minutes I got all of those full force. The contractions however, did slow and finally taper off. Finally, some relief! I was so exhausted at that point, I had only slept an hour in 30+ hours.

After a couple more hours to make sure the contractions didn't start back up and that I wasn't dilating (I wasn't)- back home we went, with orders to drink, eat and sleep.

I'm hoping these don't start back up - I'm scared I'm going to end up on bedrest if this happens again. I was up doing some stuff earlier and I felt them start back up. Into bed I got, and they stopped.

I hope Sprout gets a few more weeks of intrauterine growth. I'll do what I can to make it happen, even if that means I get nothing accomplished but a healthy baby at the end. That's the goal anyway, right?

No comments: