Friday, March 13, 2009

quickening

Quickening (from Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia):

In pregnancy terms, the moment of quickening refers to the initial motion of the fetus in the uterus as it is perceived or felt by the pregnant woman. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, to "quicken" means "to reach the stage of pregnancy at which the child shows signs of life.
The first natural sensation of quickening may feel like a light tapping, or the fluttering of a butterfly.



I was lying in bed not sleeping super well (as is difficult when I'm trying to sleep during the day)... and I felt what I can best describe as a buzzing feeling in my uterus (or that area). It continued for about a minute or so and then quit, and then came back! I tried concentrate on it (while also not moving!), and it was definitely there! I can compare it to butterflies in the stomach, except I wasn't nervous and it wasn't in my stomach.

It was exciting and a little hard to believe! They say you can feel the baby start moving as early as 16 weeks, and I am 16 weeks today! I can't wait to feel more of it. This was the first time that I've really started to feel pregnant. Never mind all the morning sickness, hearing the heartbeat, or even looking pregnant. I'm sure feeling it kick will really let it all sink in, but for now, I'm starting really believe there's a little person in there!

No comments: